About Crime Data
Crime data in this tool was obtained from the Los Angeles Police Department through the city's Open Data portal here:
Location coordinates were provided in the original dataset.
Find MO code descriptions in this document: MO CODES (Numerical) Updated 7/18/2018.
We did not alter any of the over 1.8m records in this dataset. However, we did add some columns to help us communicate this information more clearly. This includes a columns that hold:
- a 'time_occ_full' to store a complete timestamp (merging the provided 'Occurred Date' and 'Time' column data)
- a column storing the 'location_1' data separated into 'lat' and 'lon' columns
- a 'geom' column to help with geospatial identification
- a 'prem_council' column to store existing council district number (joined with district polygons)
- a 'prem_neighborhood_council' to store the existing Los Angeles Neighborhood Council name (joined with district polygons)
- a 'census_2010' column to store CENSUS Tract (2010) polygon information for reported crimes
Please use our Customer Care system for help. This helps us answer your questions on a timely basis as well as support future users.